West Virginia University College of Law, J.D., 2013
West Virginia University College of Business and Economics, B.S., 2006
- West Virginia
William (Will) Marshall Swann
- Vice President
Why Will Works in Government Relations
“Government relations isn’t what I do; it’s who I am. I’ve been around the West Virginia Legislature since birth as my father was a member of the House of Delegates when I was born. Growing up, I wanted to spend time at the State Capitol with my father and legislators because I have always enjoyed the political process and the colorful characters who make it work. As I’ve matured, I’ve realized the value in creating good public policy and how that public policy impacts the day-to-day lives of all West Virginians.”
Will's Record of Success
Will helps clients achieve successful outcomes by combining knowledge of the legislative process and relationships with key members of the House and Senate, respectively. Will represents a variety of clients in the health care, energy, telecommunications, beverage, and gaming industries before the West Virginia legislature. When Will is not advocating at the West Virginia legislature, he works as a senior litigation associate with experience handling employment matters and insurance defense.
Will’s results include:
- Ushered to completion comprehensive telemedicine legislation through the legislature despite opposition from the medical community.
- Assisted a whitewater rafting outfitter secure financing through the State of West Virginia’s Department of Commerce.
- Engaged with a coalition of national cell phone providers to pass legislation enabling streamlined small cell technology deployment in West Virginia.
- Ushered to completion animal health care legislation on behalf of a major pharmaceutical company.
- Collaborated with a group of managed care organizations to pass legislation to completion allowing those organizations to assist the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources with its foster care program.
- Ushered to completion legislation clarifying the statute of limitations for civil actions against professional surveyors.
- Assisted a national transportation client with state procurement issues.
How Will Makes Connections
Defense Trial Counsel of West Virginia
West Virginia Chamber of Commerce – Government Relations Committee